23.12.13

So let's raise the bar and our cups to the stars.



Tis the season for taking stock cradle to the grave and here I suppose is as good a place as any in which to apply heat to bone and savor the marrow. It used to be my year was measured in itineraries but now time's lost all meaning and consequently I think I'm younger than I am though I actually feel so very much older. In Two-Aught-Twelve I was too unwell to travel and that's a habit that's stuck through Thirteen; airports are strange and unfamiliar places to me now about which on the whole I feel rather quite sad. This is the year I didn't go to Scotland (as was the year before and the year before that and the year before that) and once one starts marking time thusly does it even really matter? This is the also year I didn't die (again) though there were times I very much wish I had; this was a year of very great loss indeed and very little comfort.

So if not by air or by sea how to mark the twelvemonth? I cried tears to fill an ocean. I read a thousand pages of Shakespeare. I split an entire box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts with Dave. I was and was not; I was within and without; I am not entirely convinced I survived the year intact. There are flakes of plaster scattered about my living room floor, and a question I asked though I didn't even care about the answer: Replace the upstairs carpet or re-do the kitchen? I change linens, I oil the butcher's block, I have a cup of Earl Grey, a tiny brown pill. There are things one does because one must, but is it even worth the effort? 2013 suggests perhaps it is not.

And this, you see, is why I've stopped writing in this space. I'm really quite content when I'm not reducing my days to useless words. There is power in the pen and silence both, and 2014 will find me choosing my weapons with care.

7 comments:

  1. Kat, I'm sorry for your pain this year. And the lack of travel. And all the other things that may not have gone as well as one would like.
    But, I can say that I'm happier knowing that you exist in the world, somewhere, cooking and drinking and tending to the Man and vice versa. I hope the coming year is better and that all your pain fades away and your health is restored.

    And, as always, if you and he are ever in the general vicinity of Houston, I know my wife and I would love to buy you both a beer, or Scotch or what-have-you.
    Hang in there, Kat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, homeownership is the pits! Luckily almost everything else will be quickly rectified, so no worries on my account :)

      Delete
  2. Your powerful words are haunting here, as always. I wish you a year full of the things you most long for - travel, wellness, peace - whatever they may be. And if they don't find you, at least you'll have the knowledge that someone is out here wishing they would. (If this is a double, please toss it: my computer is being wonky and I wanted to make sure it made it to you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much for the well wishes, and many happy returns!

      Delete
  3. I understand choosing silence but I do hope you choose the pen more often. I love your writing TIMES 1000.

    I hope 2014 is a good one for you guys, chock full of Krispy Kremes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And double--no triple!--to you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have faith 2014's going to be a great year, even if I've no particular reason for that belief. I'm sorry 2013 was the year it was for you, but glad you've made it through, and glad to see these words here; whenever you choose to write is a good time for those of us who get to read them.

    Happy 2014, Kat. :)

    ReplyDelete