26.4.08

Bibulous.

Clink, clink, clink.

“How’s that?”

“Mmm… a little more ice, please.”

And I oblige, of course, because when he’s sitting in bed, naked beneath the sheets, and leaning a bit off kilter against the headboard as he does, free will gets excised from my vocabulary.

“That’s perfect.”

Clink, clink, clink.

I tap my silverware against the table in a vain attempt to regain his attention, but he’s already wandered off to the bar to pound tequila shots with a stunningly beautiful bartender. There is no way I can compete, I know this. Defeated, I lower my eyes to the banquette and withdraw into myself.

Taciturn, again.

Clink, clink, clink

The rain is bouncing off of the window pane, pooling on the ledge overlooking the pit below. I survey the wreckage around me with more than a touch of melancholia, then retreat back to the safety of his arms.

Clink, clink, clink.

He stands one-legged on a make-shift perch, the metal pole bouncing off of the card table behind him to the rhythm of his twitching muscles. Slowly he raises his other leg, until now a useless limb dangling in air, and pulls it up, over his head, wraps it around his shoulders.

Like today, it is perfect kite-flying weather – blindingly sunny, windy, and just a little cool. My chin rests on a shoulder as I watch the spectacle, then turns inward to nuzzle the nape of a neck. I don’t need to watch these physical feats, because at this moment I know that the acrobatics of the human heart are grave indeed, but unlike the contortionist before me they are not bound by the laws of gravity.

19 comments:

  1. please forgive the rerun; i have the circus on my mind today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's new to me. that last sentence -- perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The circus makes me sort of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hate the circus, actually. and the zoos too.

    strangely, i love the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You = An enigma.

    I used to wonder why Aqua Man (Aquaman? One name? Hmmm.) never destroyed aquariums in order to set his water-borne brethren free. I picture disgruntled dolphins at Sea World being asked about this and replying, 'Dude, do you know how many times we asked Aqua Man for help? A buttload, that's how many. And don't try and tell me that he didn't hear us. It's sonar! It travels through air and water! He ignored us. Y'know what? Fuck Aqua Man.'

    Um...what was the post about again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. DUDE. i do not like aquariums with actual WHALES in them. i like the ones with the fishes and sharks and seahorses and jellyfish and occasional penguins and puffers but only IF they have room to roam.

    also, aquaman is the most ineffective superhero ever i think. i mean, what if he has a layover in kansas and some horrible evilness breaks out. what's he gonna do? call a bunch of trout to his aid? (do they even have rivers in kansas? i admit to knowing nothing about kansas outside of the wiz.) I THINK NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kat!

    I'm going to use your comment section as an outlet because I'm 5 days away from defending a thesis and my advisor just told me that my argument is baseless. Since the other blogs I frequent are populated with child-bearing people or the criminally insane or both in two specific cases, I figured I'd use your little slice of comment heaven to 'raise the black flag...', as Mencken once said. I should have my own blog by now, but you know what they say...'That guy's a lazy asswipe'. Thay always say that. So, anyhow...

    If I was the kind of 16-year old in a 35-year old's body willing to teepee someone's house, I'd totally do it to me advisors hizzy, only instead of toilet paper, I'd probably use a flame-thrower, and instead of soap, I'd probably use napalm. Fuck you, Auqa Man.

    Thanks, kat! ummm...wait...are you a lawyer? Say no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so... you like this post, huh?

    guess there's no accounting for taste.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, really. I just needed a place to vent. This seems like the kind of place where no one can hear you scream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you hate the things you hate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. circuses are full of freaks.

    and yes, aquaman sucked. even his name was lame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i mean that in the not-good freak sort of way. there are plenty of other things that are full of freaks, but are good (maybe because of it). like some bars.

    speaking of which, i could use a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh drinks. i just bought a pint of black and tan ice cream, because apparently i now have to have alcohol in my food as well as my glass. ugh.

    you know who else sucks? superman. i hate that weenie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa whoa whoa. I think you need to put the spoon down and step away from the ice cream because only a woman drunk on an alcohol-based dairy product would make such a pointless and incorrect statement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. no way, nuh uh. superman is a ponce, and everyone knows it.

    ReplyDelete