21.4.08

Adultescent.



If I were the kind of girl who blogs about her real life rather than the life she lives largely in her overactive imagination, then these past weeks I would have been blogging about all of these hockey playoff games I've been screaming at. I'd be blogging about how much fun I've been having going to these games, how proud I am of this little team who battled from worst to first, how smitten I am with that adorable Brooks Laich. I'd be blogging about how popular my "Let's go douchebag!" cheer is, how boys from Philadelphia seem to masochistically fall in love with me, how I've stopped drinking except on game day because my body simply refuses to tolerate any more alcohol. But mostly I'd be blogging about how, for the first time in eight years, my boyfriend has seen me truly passionate about something, how I'll catch him staring at me, open-mouthed, an expression of Who IS this girl? plastered on his face.

Am I embarrassed that I get so worked up about a hockey team? Yeah, a little.

But not much.

9 comments:

  1. Hockey's awesome. Sports, in general, has that effect sometimes, but the Capitals have earned the passion of the masses. I used to watch a game or two in what used to be Murphy's Bar in Old Town before it got all fancy and crap, back when the Capitals consistently sucked and the regulars would take turns calling the people skating pointlessly back and forth on the TV 'WORTHLESS COCKSUCKERS!!!' But a discerning ear could tell that it was obviously yelled with love.

    DC is rife with hubris and scandal, but its hockey fans balance the karma nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been in an arena as loud as it has been in the Phone Booth these last few games. I love my people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me feel passionate about hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's all the drunken twits i send during the games, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it says Chipotle on the ice!

    (this comment brought to you by ADD)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother got a little scared watching me cheer and swear at my hockey team with a passion he never expected of me. That was years ago when I cared about things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jennie! - after the first period they throw boxes of free papa john's pizza into the crowd, and after the second they throw chipotle burritos. i've caught a pizza, but never a burrito :(

    peefer - caring about things is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and this blogging-about-real-life concept you speak of? I don't know. It seems kind of extravagant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, do not be ashamed of being a zealous sports fan.

    ReplyDelete