23.8.12

Big day for fans of walls.

stairway

And like that we've morphed into a home improvement blog, one round of sanding, two coats of primer, and two coats of semi-gloss trim paint later. It's just phase one in my multi-phase plan for the entry stairs, but phase one has already netted us tens of thousands of dollars in value (or so I'm attributing it to) so things are looking up, up, up. "There's brick and then wood and then brick," Edgar told me yesterday, but that's another project entirely, and one I'm still working out in my head. I'll keep you posted maybe.

This weekend past my mother finally decided to take a look at these storeys I own, and with great relief I can say the visit was totally uneventful. It rained off and on, which was nice, and we ate Vietnamese food, which was nice, and after three short days she left, which was fine I guess. Next year's plans include a visit of a week or more, which is, again, fine; we've got the space. And who knows whether or not she'll actually come, or whether or not I'll be there to greet her, things have gotten so uncertain of late. I feel fine, I feel fine, I feel fine, but there's no accounting for what lies in wait beneath the surface, those things over which I cannot control, no matter how pin-cushiony I've become. Life! It's an adventure!

But today marks the unofficial start of what is shaping up to be an epic September. For those inclined to stalk I will be attending the following events: Bloc Party, Dave Foley, Stars, my boyfriend's birthday, The Afghan Whigs, Opera in the Outfield, hockey season maybe, and Frightened Rabbit, plus the billion doctor appointments scattered here and there as is their wont. As the aforementioned boyfriend said, it's like the old days, the happier days, the days when I was witty and pretty and bright. That'll be a change indeed.

Anywho, none of this has anything to do with what I actually intended to write about today, and now we're far too far along to get back on track. Let this be a lesson to you, kids, to never let your blog posts get away from you. We'll talk about the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland another time.

7 comments:

  1. When you're done renovating your own house, will you come do ours? It's, like, a lot of work and stuff.

    Those stairs look BEAUTIFUL. Also, if you started a home improvement blog, I'd totally read it. Also also, your September plans sound all fantastic-like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure we'll ever been done renovating, which is typical of homeownership I hear. But once I am allowed to travel again I would be happy to take a sledgehammer to your house :)

      Delete
    2. Sledgehammering is my new favorite thing!

      Delete
  2. i AM inclined to stalk. please continue all these posts. love the updates on your storeys and your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Well let me tell you about my face then!

      It looks the same I guess.

      Good story.

      ;)

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how simple it sounds: 'Yeah, we just sanded, primed, and repainted the stairs. No big whoop.'

    But to those who did it or have done it in the past, the reality is that it's a metric ass ton of work with side dishes of sore backs and knees and dust everywhere. It does look lovely, though, and therein lies the satisfaction (also the equity).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here is when everyone who doesn't already hate me starts: It really was no big whoop. (But that could very well be because my frame of whooping reference is very different these days, so take that for what you will.)

      Delete