1.11.10

"Day" Five

Alternatively titled, "Can You Hear the Road from This Place?"

My mother right this second is in surgery, my grandfather is not. Strange how medicine can help one but not the other, the subtle differences between one collection of molecules and another too subtle for science it seems. Speaking of science, have you ever thought about mitochondria? I mean really thought about them? Some time back I read the theory that mitochondria are not of this Earth, that we exist thanks to an intergalactic truck stop egg salad sandwich. “Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? Yo.”

My sister, the nurse, is of course a bundle of panicked misinformation. Liver! Lung! Frightened Rabbit! But I suppose it’s times like these when one is supposed to assess one’s own mortality, to survey the distance covered and the unknowable road ahead. And that’s where I would turn, I think, to maps and atlases. My Bucket List is an endless itinerary, places to go, people to see. And with a surprising amount of forethought on my part it seems I’ve already begun the journey.

Hic sunt dracones.

4 comments:

  1. I've spent some quality time considering the mitochondria, our tiny little cellular Honda generators. We owe them so big. Were it not for them, we could never eat a sandwich or climb a rock or spit. What a boring world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In middle school I baked a cake and decorated it like a cell, complete with mitochondria and centrioles and ribosomes and everything. In fact, I kinda feel like I need to do this again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am really thinking about mitochondria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking about mitochondria CAKE! DO IT! And then please invite me over. :)

    ReplyDelete